Senna Leaf Extract
Introduction of Senna Leaf Extract
Senna is a genus of desert flowering plants formerly known as Cassia spp. that consists of
approximately 250 individual species now collectively known as the sennas. Generally speaking,
senna leaf refers to an herb remedy obtained from Senna alexandrina. While many other senna
species have a long historical use in folk medicine, S. alexandrina is the variety best known for
The purgative action of Senna Leaf Extract is primarily due to the presence of organic anthraquinones in the form of various glycosides, including hydroxyanthracene, dianthrone, and naphthalene glycosides. Senna also contains a group of glycosides referred to as simply sennosides. These compounds stimulate the smooth muscles that transport digested food through the intestines,there by contributing to enhanced stool volume and an increase in peristaltic contractions to move it out of the colon. These actions stem from two events: An increased production of acetate,proprionate and butyric short chain fatty acids to promote fermentation, or digestion; and the
successful conversion of glycosides into a powerful purgative agent known as Senna Leaf Extract.
Function of Senna Leaf Extract
1. Cathartic effect: Senna Leaf Extract contains anthraquinone derivatives, its cathartic effect and irritation more than other laxatives.
2. Antibacterial inhibition: It resistants variety of bacteria such as staphylococcus, diphtheria bacillus, typhoid bacillus, paratyphoid bacillus, and escherichia coli, the water extract useful only for Salmonella typhi.
3. Hemostasis: It can increase platelet and fibrinogen, reduced clotting time, recalcification time, prothrombin time and blood clot contraction time, help to stop the bleeding
4. Muscle relaxation: It can block acetylcholine at the motor nerve terminals and skeletal joints, so that muscle relaxation.
Information of Senna Leaf Extract
Senna Leaf Extract
Cassia Angustifolia Vahl.
Brown Yellow Fine Powder
Pharmaceuticals and health care products
25kg/drum; 1kg/foil bag; double plastic bag inside, aluminum foil bag or fiber drum outside.
Store in a well-closed container away from moisture and light.
2 years if sealed and stored properly.
Application of Senna Leaf Extract:
Senna Leaf Extract cleanses and purifies the blood and causes a fresh and lively habit of the body. It is used in constipation,abdominal disorders,leprosy,skin diseases, leucoderma, splenomegaly, hepatopathy, jaundice, helminthiasis, dyspepsia, cough, bronchitis, typhoid fever, anaemia & tumours.
1. Applied in food field, it is widely used to treat constipation;
2. Applied in health product field, it added into health products to relaxe the bowels;
3. Applied in pharmaceutical field, for the treatment of acute pancreatitis, bacillary dysentery and cholecystitis.